Equipment Covered. This standard applies toself-propelled integral chassis aerial platforms having a platformthat cannot be positioned completely beyond the base and are usedto position personnel, along with their necessary tools andmaterials, at work locations. Aerial platforms are power operatedwith primary functions including drive controlled from the platform(see Figure 1 for examples on page 36).
Effective Dates. The Standard will becomeeffective May 20, 2007 as follows:
(1) Design, manufacture and remanufacture requirements. Thedesign and manufacturing requirements of this Standard will applyto all aerial platforms manufactured on or after the effectivedate. Aerial platforms remanufactured on or after the effectivedate of this standard shall comply with the requirements of thisstandard.
(2) Rebuild/recondition requirements. Rebuilt/reconditionedaerial platforms shall comply with the standard in effect as of thedate of their original manufacture.
(3) Responsibilities for dealers, owners, users, operators,lessors, lessees and brokers. All provisions detailed for dealers,owners, users, operators, lessors, lessees and brokers apply toboth new and existing units delivered by sale, lease, rental or anyform of beneficial use on or after the effective date.
Equipment Not Covered.
(1) Ladder and ladder stands such as those covered in AmericanNational Standards for Ladder and Ladder Stands, ANSI A14series.
(2) Scaffolding such as those covered in American NationalStandard for Construction and Demolition Operations ScaffoldingSafety Requirements, ANSI A10.8-1988.
(3) Vehicle and trailer-mounted elevating and rotating aerialplatforms such as those covered in American National Standard forVehicle-Mounted Elevating and Rotating Aerial Devices, ANSI/SAIAA92.2- 2009.
(4) Non self-propelled elevating aerial platforms such as thosecovered in American National Standard for Manually-PropelledElevating Aerial Platforms, ANSI/SAIA A92.3-2006 (R2014).
(5) Self-propelled elevating aerial platforms such as thosecovered in American National Standard for Boom-Supported ElevatingWork Platforms, ANSI/SAIA A92.5-2006 (R2014).
(6) Vehicle-mounted vertical lift devices such as those coveredin American National Standard for Airline Ground SupportedVehicle-Mounted Vertical Lifts, ANSI/ SAIA A92.7-2014.
(7) Vehicle-Mounted Bridge Inspection and Maintenance Devices,ANSI/SAIA A92.8- 2012.
(8) Mast Climbing Work Platforms, ANSI/SAIA A92.9- 2011.
(9) Suspended powered platforms for exterior buildingmaintenance, ANSI A120.1-1996.
(10) Vertically adjustable equipment used primarily to raise andlower materials and equipment from one elevation to another such asAmerican National Standards in the A17, B30 and B56 series.
(11) Fire-fighting equipment such as that covered in AmericanNational Standard for Automotive Fire Apparatus, ANSI/NFPA1901-1991.
(12) Construction and demolition operation digger derricks suchas those covered in American National Standard for Construction andDemolition Safety Requirements, Definitions and Specifications,ANSI A 10.31-1995.
(13) An attachment or device which is intended to convert anon-self-propelled elevating aerial platform to a self-propelledelevating aerial platform, unless the resulting elevating aerialplatform is within the scope of equipment covered as defined in1.1.1 of this standard.
Purpose. This standard applies toself-propelled elevating aerial platforms to achieve the followingobjectives:
(1) Prevention of accidents and personal injuries.
(2) Establishment of criteria for design, manufacture,remanufacture, rebuild/recondition, testing, performance,inspection, training, maintenance, and operation.
(3) Establishment and understanding by designers, manufacturers,dealers, owners, users, operators, lessors, lessees and brokers oftheir respective responsibilities.
Application. The rapid development of a widevariety of self-propelled elevating aerial platform designsnecessitates the establishment of standards for their design,manufacture, (remanufacture), rebuild/recondition, maintenance,inspection, testing, training, performance, and use.